ARDBEG 1977

There are some iconic distillerys in the whisky buisness, and Ardbeg has to be one of the main ones, this distillery is like marmite, you either love it or hate it. The fan base for Ardbeg is massive, people go mad for it, it is the Manchester United of whisky,  with its huge peat influence the whisky is quite intense.   Many  fans will tell you that the profile has changed over the years, the older liquid is better they say, well I am about to find out, this is my first opertunity to taste anything other than the 10yo, so I am quite looking forward to this.

This malt is said to be the most phenolic in the business, (peated  to 50ppm)with the soft pure water that runs through the peat to the peat fired kilns.

image

This expression from 1977 is bottled at 46%abv.

Nose… Wait a minute, this is Ardbeg .. Isn’t it.. I was not expecting this,  Ardbeg meets subtle aromas,  it starts with a lovely subtle fruity infused smoke, it is quite elegant,  subtle orange and nectarine notes mingle with smouldering wood notes.

Palate.. A little more like what I expected, although still subtle, the peat is more prominent, quite dry with fruity notes, orange marmalade, charcoal and cinder toffee notes with bonfire toffee,  a subtle note of soft liquorice along with some tobacco like notes.

finish.. I’ll tell you when it does..

Thoughts.. This Ardbeg has taken me by surprise, I was expecting big full on, smack your lips with a baseball bat flavours but instead I got subtle, delicate complex flavours that really have made me think twice.  This is the reason thousands of people love the taste, I know the younger expressions are more full on but this is WHISKY, this is what it is all about,  this is what you offer your friends and expect silence while they nose and sip what they have in thier hands, this is what puts that smile on faces, and warms the cockles.. I feel quite privaliged to have been given the chance to try this, I really do hope I get the chance of trying some other older Ardbegs one day..

I would like to thank Andy Purslow for this AWSOME sample..

image

10 Comments Add yours

1. Craig says:

I can only say wow !

2. sorrenkrebs says:

Hi Graham.
    This certainly has not got the big peated kick that the younger Ardbegs have, I’m sure if you get a chance to taste it then you would love it..

3. Graham P says:

I don’t like Ardbeg very much but this sounds like it might not taste as peaty, is that the case.

4. sorrenkrebs says:

Thanks Drammer.. Yes you should have grabbed as many as you could..

5. Drammer says:

This is one of the best drams I have had from the Ardbeg range, I bought a bottle a few years ago and I wish I had bought more. Good review.

Liked by 1 person

6. Alex says:

It is a truly great whisky.

7. sorrenkrebs says:

Rumtastic.. I know, I know, but you know I will never say you were right 😂

8. rumtastic says:

Ah, 70’s Ardbeg……now those were some whiskies….you’re a lucky chap for being able to sample that. ’77 Ardbeg is one of my personal favorites and something I’m very unlikely to ever have again given the market these days. I’ve been telling you for ages there is more to Islay than the peat bombs!

Liked by 1 person