A BLIND TASTING CHALLENGE.

Dont you just love it when you swop samples with people and the challenge is set with 3 samples sent in  order to do a blind tasting..  I have absolutely no clues other than the colour of the samples and luckily it  looks  obvious that two are bourbon and one is sherried .. Unless someone over did it with the E150 …

img_3744

I will do each review and see if I can pin point any traits and obvious giveaways, unfortunately I won’t know the results until I give my notes in and said person reveals just how wrong I was..

Sample A.

img_0099

Nose.. Quite fruity and full of sweet notes, vanilla and toffee sauce poured over poached pear and peaches, hints of coconut milk and soft oak.

Palate.. Soft with hints of vanilla, toffee, caramel and some sugared almonds.. Candied orange and fresh peeled apples, make you dream of orchards in summer.

Finish.. soft fruit wrapped in oak.

Thoughts.. My immediate thoughts are Speyside/ Highland area.. lots of fruity notes wrapped up in a sweet coating..

Sample B.

img_0100

Nose.. This one is rather different.. a little more stringent on the nose.. Fruit comes through eventually, some sweetness and oak show up.

Palate.. Tastes young, quite oaky and bitter.. some sweetness eventually comes through and a little fruit.. vanilla, toffee and cooking apples, citrus peels and bitter chocolate.

Finish.. oaky and bitter.

Thoughts.. This one did not appeal to me, can’t wait to hear what it was.. There was some good notes but boy did it take some work to find them..

Sample C..

img_0101

Nose..This is a Sherry cask ok..Typical dried fruits, dark chocolate and coffee grinds, hints of tobacco, old leather and candied oranges.. There is the slightest hint of oak along with a mature feel, very similar to a certain favourite of mine..

Palate.. A lovely mature mouth feel, some earthy notes compliment the explosion of dried fruits, oranges, chocolate and coffee flavours.. a touch of vanilla and dark toffee send your senses into overdrive..

Finish.. Fruity and scrummy.

Thoughts.. I’d buy this in an instant !! A lovely rich sherry bomb, full of lovely flavours and a Devine nose..

Ok so this is where I make a real plonker of myself.. my guesses to what I just had.. I am not sure about dram B but I’m sure the A is a Highland poss along the lines of a small distillery.. that’s very pretty and owned by a particular indi bottler.. Sample C is ….. A sherry cask from Speyside.. so similar to the claxtons beauty and just hits the spot.. Has to be a Glenrothes.. Sample B well it don’t matter as I’m not going to buy it ..

img_0098

I’d like to thank John from who is from the  Scotch malt whisky forum that I regularly visit for these samples.. Can’t wait to hear what these were..

I have been told the results..

Sample A … Edradour 2003 Bourbon cask.

Sample B… Bunnahabain 26yo #7730 from Whisky Broker.

Sample C … Glenrothes 19yo sherry Butt from Whisky Broker..

18 Comments Add yours

1. sorrenkrebs says:

That’s the plan, you don’t worry if your right or wrong.. it’s all about the whisky ( as it should be of course)

Liked by 1 person

2. Then you have too many and get completely lost in a blended sea of whisky 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. sorrenkrebs says:

No, the more you try, the more fun you have getting it wrong 😂.. Blind tasting is hard, you concentrate on the whisky a lot more. No precipitations..

Liked by 1 person

4. Haha I can imagine. I guess the more whiskies you try, the better you become at identifying them 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. sorrenkrebs says:

Blind tasting can be so much fun and totally frustrating at the same time.. sometimes it just clicks but mostly you just end up scratching your head.. You should try it 👍

Liked by 1 person

6. Not experienced blind tasting before. Sounds fun! A whole new ball game to whisky tasting. Another challenge 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. Jackie says:

I’m loving the information.and style that you give us. I’m book-marking and will bee tweeting this site to my followers! Terrific blog.

8. sorrenkrebs says:

Hi Jim.. Thanks for the comments, this was s lot of fun to do.

9. Jim says:

There is definitely a great deal to learn about this and for doing a tasting like this. I really like all the notes you have made. In my opinion, you have showed some good skills here.

10. sorrenkrebs says:

Hi Anonymous.
    I can assure you I had no knowledge of the origins as these samples were sent by someone as a exchange of samples.. As for knowing what they were from the colour, this is only a indication and can be misleading., if E150 is added or depending what cask it was from will give different thoughts to the person tasting.. I’m sorry you think this was not a correct tasting but if you would like to test me then please do !

11. Anonymous says:

It’s very straightforward to find out any flavours and scents just from the colour of the whisky, so this is really just a normal review, you probably had the knowledge of what was what before you started.

12. sorrenkrebs says:

No, prob more just a lucky guess.. I’ve done a few and have been so far off I might as well have been drinking Vodka !!

13. ilovewhisky says:

Just popped back into see of the results were in…just wanted to see what C was.

Agree with George’s comments too.

You’ve obviously got a great nose and palate.

Good review and interesting idea 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. Harry D says:

This is something I have tried and I know how easy it is to get things totally wrong, great read and great topic

15. sorrenkrebs says:

Totally agree with you.. also a lot of finishes really throws you off..

16. Thanks Sorren. I love blind tastings. They are fun and humbling. They sharply focus our senses on identifying aromas and flavours, which is a good thing. However, pinpointing the origins is becoming increasingly more difficult. For instance, imagine trying to identify the Laphroaig Four Oak that has been aged in ex-bourbon barrels, quarter casks, first fill American oak and European oak hogsheads. This being said, I am up for the challenge.

Liked by 1 person

17. sorrenkrebs says:

A and c are so similar to things I have tasted recently but sample b I have no clue.. couldn’t even guess lol

Liked by 1 person

18. George, elPolako says:

interesting setup. Blind tasting is “the” tasting, but… pin pointing the origins?… Hard one. I wonder what are they. Future will tell, eh?

Liked by 2 people