Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2020 Announces The Last Drop Distillers As Winner of Two Categories
Louisville, KY, October 2019 –The Last Drop Distillers, with a mission to seek out parcels of rare and exceptional spirits, announces its success as winner of two awards in Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2020: The Last Drop 56-Year-Old Blend took the Blended Scotch 26-50+ Year Category and the eagerly awaited Release No 17, the 1977 Dumbarton won Single Grain of the Year. Containing over 4,600 detailed, professionally analysed and easy-to-understand tasting notes on the world’s leading whiskies, the book highlights only the very best in the field. This 2020 edition marks the 17th year of the annual publication.
Rebecca Jago, managing director of The Last Drop said of the news, “We are so thrilled to see not one, but two of our releases receive such accolades. It is also wonderful to celebrate our success alongside our fellow Sazerac brands which took the top three spots in Murray’s World Whisk(e)y of the Year: Barton 1972 Full Proof Straight Bourbon, William LaRue Weller 125.7 Proof Bourbon and Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye 128.8 Proof.”
Murray called the 56-year-old blended Scotch whisky, “One of those whiskies there is not enough time in the day for.” He describes it as, “a naturally perfumed sweetness mixes with the most rounded mix of corn oil, muscovado, sugar and soft vanilla. But the secret ingredient is the salty aroma…”
The soon to be released Dumbarton 1977 from The Last Drop Distillers was described as “almost a cross between a high-class bourbon and rye blend, the Demarara sugars magically crisp and clean.” He continued saying, “How can a delivery of a whisky over 40 years old be this salivating? This clean? Last Drop have been and done it again. They’ve …found a near faultless barrel from what was once, before it was needlessly destroyed, a near faultless grain distillery…This spent 42 years in oak, giving it plenty of time to go wrong. Nothing did, so you have a pristine example…remained in a warehouse seeking perfection…and as near as finding it.”
The Last Drop 56-Year-Old Blended Scotch Whisky
The 56 Year Old Blended Scotch Whisky comprises over 60% Single Malts and is a truly remarkable example of balance, wearing its age with grace and dignity. Launched in September with only enough liquid for 732 bottles, this marks The Last Drop’s 16th release within their esteemed portfolio.
The release has an SRP of $4,350. US stockists can be found atwww.lastdropdistillers.com/stockists.
The Last Drop 1977 Dumbarton
Following its accolade of Scotch Grain of the Year, The Last Drop Distillers is looking forward to sharing further details regarding our forthcoming release No 17, The Last Drop 1977 Dumbarton Single Grain: with an estimated outturn of only 150 bottles, this extremely rare bottling will be on sale before Christmas this year.
About The Last Drop Distillers
The Last Drop Distillers specialises in discovering and hand bottling the finest, rarest and most exclusive spirits from remote cellars and warehouses across Scotland and the rest of the world. The team’s quest is rigorous and painstaking, choosing not only liquids that are old and rare, but also fresh and delicious; a juxtaposition that makes The Last Drop portfolio truly unique. In 2016, The Last Drop was acquired by the Sazerac Company, one of America’s oldest family owned, privately held distillers.
The collection includes:
- Release XVII The Last Drop 1977 Dumbarton Single Grain Scotch Whisky – Coming December 2019
- Release XVI The Last Drop 56 Year Old Blended Scotch Whisky
- Release XV The Last Drop 1969 Glenrothes Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Release XIV The Last Drop 1925 Hors d’Âge Grande Champagne Cognac
- Release XIII The Last Drop 1982 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Release XII The Last Drop 1968 Glenrothes
- Release XI The Last Drop Port Duo 1870 & 1970
- Release X The Last Drop 1971 Vintage Blended Scotch Whisky
- Release IX The Last Drop 1947 Hors d’âge Cognac
- Release VIII The Last Drop 1972 Lochside Single Grain Scotch Whisky
- Release VII The Last Drop 1961 Dumbarton Single Grain Scotch Whisky
- Release VI The Last Drop 50 Year Old Double Matured Blended Scotch Whisky
- Release V The Last Drop 1967 Glen Garioch Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Release IV The Last Drop 48 Year Old Blended Scotch Whisky
- Release III The Last Drop 50 Year Old Blended Scotch Whisky
- Release II The Last Drop 1950 Finest Aged Cognac
- Release I The Last Drop 1960 Blended Scotch Whisky